Did you know that the potato was the first vegetable to be grown in outer space? Yes, the humble spud has been to space and back, and continues to remain the most beloved of vegetables on this planet! But it is much more than a scrumptious dose of extra fries on the side or a delectable platter of aloo kepakodey.
Read Also:7 Ways To Use Lemons For Beauty
Potatoes are full of vitamins C and B6, which can help you achieve the kind of flawless skin you always wanted (1), (2). Below are 17 ways you can use the ordinary and inexpensive spud to get wonderful skin and hair!
Potatoes For The Eyes
1. Dark circle reducer: Eager to say goodbye to dark circles? Say it with potatoes! Simply take a peeled potato and slice it into wedges. Now place these wedges in a cool washcloth and place it over your eyes for 20 minutes for the magic to work.
2.No more puffy eyes: When you can’t find cucumbers at home for your puffy eyes, it’s potato to the rescue. Slice a potato up and keep it in the fridge till it becomes cold. Now take it out and cover your eyes with a slice each to soothe them.
Read Also: What Happens When You Wear Too Much Makeup?
3. Wrinkle remover: For this, you’ll need to juice a potato. Take a lemon squeezer to extract the juice of a potato and apply it under your eyes with a cotton swab to reduce the appearance of fine lines.
Potatoes For The Face
4. Acne destroyer: Extract the juice of a potato and apply it directly on the acne-prone parts with a Q-tip. Wash off after 10 to 20 minutes.
5. Quick fix for oily skin: To make this mask, you’ll need to peel and grate a potato, and add rosewater as well as a teaspoon of lemon juice to it. Mix well and apply the mask on your face. Keep it on for 15 minutes before rinsing it off.
6. Quick fix for dry skin: Just follow the exact same recipe for the oily skin mask, except for one tiny difference – exchange the lemon juice for a tablespoon of honey.
7. Skin soothing mask: If you’ve gone through Botox and need a mask to soothe your skin, this one with potatoes will work. Simply slice potatoes in circles and place them in the freezer. Now cover your face with these chilled potato slices for 15 minutes. Remember not to apply to open wounds.
8. Egg and potato mask: This mask is great if you suffer from skin problems! Take an egg white and mix it well the juice of half a potato. Apply it on your face with a brush and leave on for 20 minutes. Wash off thoroughly.
9. Simple potato mask: Get clear and bright complexion with this easy mask. Extract the juice of a potato and soak a tissue in it. Place the wet tissue over your face for 20 minutes to get glowing skin.
10. Moisturizing mask: What you need are 1 grated potato, 1 tablespoon of honey, and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix all of it well and apply it on your face, leaving it on for 10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly to get rejuvenated skin with reduced fine lines.
11. Cucumber and potato cleanse: Chop one potato and one cucumber into medium pieces and put them in a blender to form a fine paste. Mix in a teaspoon of water and baking soda each and apply it on your face whenever you need a deep facial cleanse.
12. Anti-aging mask: Put a medium sized potato and a tablespoon of yogurt into the blender to form a smooth paste. Apply it on your skin and leave it on for 30 minutes. When you wash it off, your skin will feel tight and smooth.
13. Exfoliating toner: Mix 2 tablespoons of lemon juice in a small bowl of grated potatoes. Rub this mixture on your face and allow it to sit for half an hour. Not only will it exfoliate your skin, but it will also reduce pigmentation.
Potatoes For The Body
14. Sunburn soother: No matter which part of your body gets sunburnt, you can use potato to heal it. Putting cold potato slices on the affected areas will bring you instant relief from the stinging sensation!
15. Salve for itches, rashes, and bites: Rubbing a wedge of raw potato on the affected area will provide you quick relief from itches, rashes, and insect bites.
Potatoes For The Hair
16. Hair moisturizing mask: Mix a tablespoon of honey, 2 tablespoons of aloe vera gel, and 3 tablespoons of potato juice together. Gently massage your scalp with this mixture, spreading it to the ends with the help of a comb. Leave it on for an hour before rinsing thoroughly.
17. Gray hair polisher: Give your dull gray hair a lustrous sheen with the help of potatoes. Boil 5 potatoes for an hour, then take the potatoes out and use the remaining water to rinse your hair. Your hair will look super shiny.
There’s no need to spend on expensive beauty products as long as you have a potato in the kitchen! Try these DIY remedies yourself and we promise, you’ll love them!