Holy basil (Efirin), an annual shrub of 2-4 feet high, is called as the “Queen of the Herbs” and is famous for its religious, spiritual and medicinal value. The legend says it came into being as the incarnation of the Hindu Goddess Tulsi. The word in Sanskrit means ‘the matchless one.’ Leaves are with petioles and ovate and are purple and green in colour. The flowers are also purple; the seeds are brown with black colour spots on them. It blooms in winter and grows in the warm and tropical region.
Holy Basil Plant (Efirin)
What Is Holy Basil?
Holy basil is a plant. It is originally from India and is used in Ayurvedic medicine as an “adaptogen” to counter life’s stresses. It is considered a sacred plant by the Hindus and is often planted around Hindu shrines. The Hindu name for holy basil, Tulsi, means “the incomparable one.” Medicine is made from the leaves, stems, and seeds.
Holy basil is used for the common cold, influenza (“the flu“), H1N1 (swine) flu, diabetes, asthma, bronchitis, earache, headache, stomach upset, heart disease, fever, viral hepatitis, malaria, stress, and tuberculosis. It is also used for mercury poisoning, to promote longevity, as a mosquito repellent, and to counteract snake and scorpion bites.
Holy basil is applied to the skin for ringworm.
In cooking, holy basil is often added to stir-fry dishes and spicy soups because of its peppery taste. Cookbooks sometimes call it “hot basil.”
Botanical name and family
Botanical name- Ocimum tenuiflorum
Kapoor Holy Basil ( Efirin Ooso)
Vana Holy Basil (Efirin Ajase)
Geological distribution of Holy Basil
Holy Basil is grown in various parts of Asia, Australia, Middle East and North Africa. It was taken to Europe during their trade with India. It is native to Indian sub- continent and widely cultivated in Middle East, Thailand, Sri Lanka, Nepal and some other Asian countries.
Health Benefits Of Holy Basil
- Reduce stress and anxiety
- Stimulate and vitalize your body
- Protect against infection and treat wounds
- Lower your blood sugar
- Lower your cholesterol
- Ease inflammation and joint pain
- Protect your stomach
Healing/Traditional Benefits Of Holy Basil
Holy Basil is used as an antiseptic, antivirus, anti-bacteria and antibiotic. Traditionally, the Holy basil juice is used as an expectorant, stimulant and demulcent. It is rich in chemical constituents like volatile oil, fenile, aldehydes, stable oil, alkaloid, tannins, glycoside and the leaves have carotene and ascorbic acid. Find all holy basil benefits:
- It cures cough, best remedy for cold or asthma while mixed with pepper, ginger and honey. Its one of best holy basil benefits.
- The plant prevents mosquitoes.
- It is used for natural treatment of fever.
- Holy basil juice prevents skin diseases, acne and pimples on the face. It is also proved of promoting skin.
- Regular use of Holy basil leaves with honey breaks kidney stones and get released through the urinary track.
- Chewing Tulsi leaf on a daily basis brings down the cholesterol and protects heart.
- Holy basil leaf also cures the infection in the mouth and clears oral ulcer.
- Taking Tulsi leaf and using the juice of it on insect bites, gives relief from this.
- The paste applied on the head gives comfort from a headache, heaviness and stress.
- The powdered Tulsi is useful for Pyorrhea, hence used as tooth powder and mixed with Herbal paste by Pharmaceutical companies. Its one of best holy basil benefits.
- The juice is also used for children with gastric problems.
- The juice of black basil is used for the treatment of night blindness and soar eye as it is rich in Vitamin A and Vitamin B.
- It is also used as home remedy for excessive menstrual bleeding.
- It is used as a natural treatment for itching of the skin.
- Tulsi juice mixed with rice water can cure leucorrhoea.
- The Holy basil juice cures internal bleeding of the stomach.
- The Tulsi juice is used to reduce labour pain.
- Tulsi juice with lemon juice cures the urinary infection. Its one of best holy basil benefits.
- Holy basil keeps the uterus healthy and strong.
- It is useful for children to take Tulsi on a regular basis.
- The extract of this also regularizes blood sugar.
- Holy basil is also helpful against the tumour.
- It also promotes healthy and long life.
- Mixed with tea powder Tulsi leaves are beneficial for anyone.
- It also suppresses ear pain when extracted juice dropped into the ear.
Since ages, Holy basil has been in use medicinally. It is also accepted as a symbol of wealth, health, purity and divinity. It is the greatest gift of nature to this planet earth.