The initial step to solving any problem is to first acknowledge the fact that you have one. Melasma is a very common skin condition that causes dark or discolored skin patches. This happens to the part of your skin that is overexposed to the sun and it mainly occurs in lighter and olive skin toned people.
Additional risk factors for melasma include genes, stress, side effects incurred from beauty products or scented soaps, certain medications like oral contraceptives and even poor functioning of the thyroid hormone.
If you have been suffering from these rough, dark patches of pigmented skin and are praying for a solution, well, suffer no more! Following are eight brilliantly effective remedies to erase the ravaging effects of melasma in no time.
Bonus? They are all natural and budget-friendly ingredients that will keep your skin and wallet oh-so-happy. Score!
1. Cucumber Juice
Your skin normally lacks moisture and cucumber helps provide the right nutrients to keep your skin hydrated. Eating cucumber can tremendously help your skin. Here’s an effective topical remedy that harnesses the antioxidant powers of cucumber juice.
- Grate one cucumber finely.
- Extract the juice from it and collect it in a bowl.
- Take a cotton swab and apply it on your face.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes, and then wash your face with cold water.
- Repeat daily for best results.
2. Sandalwood Powder
Sandalwood helps to smoothen the skin as well as make it glow! There are two ways to use sandalwood to eradicate dark spots from your skin. You could use either concoction:
Sandalwood & Rosewater Paste:
- Mix sandalwood powder with rosewater to make a smooth paste.
- Apply it to affected area and leave to dry for 20 minutes.
- Now wash with lukewarm water.
Sandalwood & Lemon Juice Paste:
- Mix one tablespoon of sandalwood powder with one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Add some milk to make a fine paste.
- Apply the paste on your face and allow it to dry.
- When it has dried off completely, wash it with normal water.
3. Turmeric Powder
Turmeric powder is another great remedy for melasma, especially for olive skin tones. It helps balance the skin color and lightens dark spots.
- Take a tablespoon of turmeric powder and add some milk to it.
- In order to make a thick mixture, add a tablespoon of gram flour to it.
- Apply it on the face and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
- For best results, repeat this treatment daily.
4. Banana Puree
Banana is rich in protein and has a lot of natural sugar that helps the skin glow and rejuvenate.
- Mash one banana into a thick puree and apply it on your dark spots for 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this at least four times a week for best results.
5. Oatmeal Puree
Oatmeal is also one of the most effective home remedies for melasma. Its exfoliant properties help fight dark spots and rejuvenate the skin.
- Take equal amount of oatmeal powder, milk and honey. Mix them well to make a paste.
- When the paste is ready, apply it on the face.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes and allow it to dry.
- Now wash it with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this thrice a week.
6. Almond Puree
Almond is rich in vitamin E and thus it is named amongst the most powerful melasma home remedies. Here is an effective facemask recipe to get rid of those troublesome dark spots:
- Take 8-10 almonds and soak them for 4-5 hours.
- Remove the peels and grind them well to make a paste.
- Then add 1 teaspoon of honey and 1 teaspoon of milk to the paste.
- Mix this well and apply it on your face before going to bed.
- Leave it overnight and wash it in the morning with lukewarm water.
- Repeat this twice a week for best results.
7. Mint Leaves
Mint is an excellent home remedy for melasma as it has soothing and curative properties, which significantly help in skin healing.
- Take a few mint leaves and crush them to extract their juice.
- Now apply this juice directly on the affected area and leave it for 15 minutes. Later, wash off with lukewarm water.
- For best results repeat twice per week.
8. Lemon Juice
Lemon is the best remedy amongst all the melasma home remedies. It works as a natural bleaching agent and thus lightens the color of your skin. There are many ways to use lemon for melasma but this is the simplest and the most effective one:
- Squeeze one lemon into a bowl and apply the juice on your face using a cotton ball.
- Massage your face gently for 2 minutes and leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash your face with lukewarm water.
There you have it! Eight incredibly effective home remedies for melasma that can be made using ingredients from your very own kitchen! It’s time to throw away those expensive lightening creams and give Mother Nature a chance.